Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Little Richard and I are trying to help

There are many problems in the world. Huge rifts, divisions that are insane. I don't really have any idea what the solution could be, and even if I did it would do no good, people will only believe the things that support their conclusions. Some times that is so depressing.

This morning while driving to work Long Tall Sally by Little Richard began playing. This song is so infectious, so moving, so delightful that I am forced to turn the radio up, loud, keep time on the steering wheel, rock and roll in my seat, and sing every word, even the high notes "Yeah baby, woo baby," all the way to work.

Occasionally I have to repeat the song. And when it is over I feel so much better. There is a renewed energy, an extra bounce in my step. Little Richard has saved the day again.

Then it hit me. Maybe if before negotiations began everybody could listen to something pleasing, something happy, say Long Tall Sally by Little Richard, or China Cat Sunflower by the Grateful Dead, or Domino by Van Morrison things would probably go much more enthusiastically.

It would be almost impossible to let minor sticking points stand in the way of an important agreement when you have just danced in the aisles together, singing about "Uncle John with bald headed Sally he saw Aunt Mary coming and he ducked back in the alley, ooo baby, yeah baby, havin' us some fun tonight."

It probably won't solve all of the problems, but it sure can't hurt. Hammering piano, and wailing saxes are a pretty good start.

Now, everybody, sing along, and tell me how much better you feel. If you have a choice that would work let me know. We can work together to solve the worlds problems. Or at least make them sound better.


No comments:

Post a Comment