Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Dylan, Watson, and Delight. A great start to my day.

I am an unabashed Bob Dylan fan. I even like the music from his "religious" period. He is responsible for a mind boggling amount of music. And, in many ways his diversity is as amazing as his longevity. From the lonely, lost, broken hearted antihero of Tangled Up In Blue;

"So, now I'm goin' back again,
I got to get to her somehow,
All the people we used to know
They're an illusion to me now"

To the politically motivated, compromise seeking idealist in Senor, (Tales Of Yankee Power);


"Senor, senor, let's disconnect these cable
Overturn these tables,
This place don't make no sense to me no more,
Can you tell me what we're waiting for Senor?"


Dylan has covered it all. Dylan has said it all, eloquently, sometimes mysteriously, but always with a voice that was uniquely his own. He can go from gentle persuasion to hammering home a point in a single album. Dylan just does what he wants, and that is why he has lasted this long.

Of course I follow him on Facebook, why not? This morning I was delighted to see this commercial, on my feed.  Honestly, watching Dylan make an advertisement is a bit of heavenly intervention for me, it just delights me for reasons I am powerless to explain. It might be his status as the ultimate outsider, making his music, his way for decades, or maybe it is just nice seeing a person I admire gaming the system for a few bucks. Way to go, Bob!


But, when you think about it, Watson is right, almost everything ever written has those central themes, the passage of time, and the painful fading of love. But, it is how you say it, I guess, and Dylan said it with flair. 

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Dylan has been a fingernails on the blackboard for me, but I will admit he is a legend ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan... gone commercial... not Bob... say it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete